Monday, November 21, 2011

Literature Circles

I recently began using literature circles in reading groups and it's been pretty amazing. I started with the two highest reading groups about three weeks ago and now, all but one of the groups are enjoying the process. The responsibilities for our literature circles are:

  • Discussion leader - develop three "thinking questions" (higher ordered thinking).
  • Word Wizard - find three interesting words, talk about how they are used and what they mean.
  • Illustrator - create a scene from descriptions in the story.
  • Story Connector - connect our story to one we've read in class.
  • Real-life Connector - make two text-to-self connections.
  • Summarizer - choose two sections of the chapter and retell in your own words.

Each job contributes to the discussions we have in reading group. When groups come to the table, I pull two sticks to see whose job will lead the discussion that day. Unfortunately, we can't get to every job because we don't have enough time, but I collect each person's journal to grade and leave comments on their contribution. 
I've noticed the kids really enjoy having a responsibility and take it seriously when it is their turn to share their work. I've also noticed that while most of the kids want to be the Illustrator, they're happy to take any role because they know they're equally important. Since my largest reading group only has five students in it, I've chosen to double up on the jobs. Usually the Word Wizard is also the Illustrator. Literature circles have also had the unintended side effect of motivating my "non-readers" (the kids who would rather be do anything but read). I think these students enjoy the responsibility and seeing that their work is such a big part of reading group (instead of just answering teacher-posed questions). 


For more information on literature circles and how to make them work for you visit: ProTeacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment