Sunday, October 30, 2011

Motivation

I've been really intrigued with figuring out exactly how to motivate my third graders "non-readers"this year. I'm using that term to describe any of the kids who aren't too fond of curling up with a good book. From what I've seen so far, the kids who enjoy ready really enjoy reading. Unfortunately the flipside to that is the kids who don't enjoy it, really don't enjoy it. Last year, all I had to tell my kindergartners was that I loved a certain book or that it was my favorite story and they were all about it. This year, I've had to seriously put my money where my mouth is.
Whenever we've gone to the media center for book exchange, I've checked out one chapter book and one "advanced" picture book for myself. The kids were pretty quick to pick up on it and immediately started asking questions about what I was reading and if I'd read this book or that book. In the beginning, it was a strategy to get them invested in book exchange and really use the media center as a resource for finding great books. I wanted them to see that even I was was able to pick out things I really wanted to read from our media center. Now, it's actually really enjoyable for me. I've been able to carve out dedicated reading time on weekend mornings and it takes a few days to get through some of the books so I'm able to grab a new one each time. I've made sure to check out books that represent the wide range of reading levels in our class. I don't want any of the kids to feel left out. Since I started reading "their" books, I think they're a little more willing to listen if I suggest something as a great book. I'm not just the teacher trying to shoo them out of the media center-- I've actually read the book and I'm recommending it. I've noticed some of my non-readers from the beginning of the year are starting to spend a little longer perusing the shelves. Many of the kids have also started suggesting books for me to read.
Checking out books seems like it's working so far, but I would love other suggestions for motivating the kids who aren't that fond of reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment